As I was reading through the Bible, I came across the story in John 21:1-14, when Jesus comes back to reinstate Peter. God revealed to me three levels of faith from this story that I’ve never seen before. I would like to share them with you.
#1) The first level of faith is just hearing the Word of God. In John 21:7 it says “As soon as Peter heard him say, ‘It is the Lord,’ he wrapped his outer garment around him and jumped into the water.” When Peter walked on the water, all he needed to hear was Jesus say “Come.” The centurion soldier also had this level of faith. He told Jesus just to say the word and he knew his servant was healed. Jesus refers to the centurion as having great faith (See Matthew 8:13).
#2) The second level of faith is when you see the miracle happen. John knew it was Jesus after he had seen the miraculous catch of fish (See John 21:6-7). This is how the crowds operated. They would see Jesus perform a certain miracle and then they would believe in Him. They even told Jesus to do a miracle for them and they would believe. This happened right after Jesus just fed the five thousand (See John 6:30).
#3) The last level of faith is when you get close to Jesus and see Him then you believe. The other disciples that were with Peter and John had this type of faith (See John 21:12). This is a Thomas like faith. Thomas said “Unless I see the nail marks in His hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe it” (See John 20:24-29).
I have found myself operating on each one of these levels of faith in different times in my life. My prayer is that we would get to the first level where we just need to read the Word or hear God tell us to do something and we would do it without hesitation. There are twelve faith confessions that I have gotten from Steven Furtick, Senior Pastor Elevation Church, that I believe will help faith arise inside of you. Decree these everyday over your life and see if God doesn’t increase your faith to the next level.
1) I am fully forgiven and free from all shame and condemnation. (Romans 8:1)
2) I act in audacious faith to change the world in my generation. (Joshua 10:12-14, Daniel 3:16-18, Hebrews 11:17-19)
3) I have no fear or anxiety, I trust in the Lord with all my heart. (Proverbs 3:5-6, 2 Timothy 1:7)
4) I am able to fulfill the calling God has placed on my life. (Romans 8:30, Hebrews 13:21, Philippians 1:6, Ephesians 2:10)
5) I am fully funded to do everything God has called me to do. (Philippians 4:19, 1 Thessalonians 5:24)
6) I have no insecurity, because I see myself as God sees me. (1 Peter 2:9)
7) I am a faithful spouse and Godly parent; our family is blessed. (Ephesians 5:22-23, Ephesians 6:1-4)
8) I am completely whole physically, mentally, and emotionally. (Isaiah 53:5)
9) I am increasing in influence and favor for the kingdom of God. (Luke 2:52, Proverbs 3:4)
10) I am enabled to walk in the sacrificial love of Christ. (Ephesians 5:2)
11) I have the wisdom of the Lord concerning every decision I make. (Proverbs 2:6, Proverbs 9:10, Proverbs 28:26)
12) I am protected from all harm and evil in Jesus’ name. (Psalm 91, Isaiah 54:17)